April 5, 2008

A Constellation Of Doubt

So, I'm "watching" - I use the term loosely, as it's more that I'm listening - "A Contellation Of Doubt", episode 4.17 of Farscape. It's one of my more frequently watched episodes, probably tied with "Unrealized Reality" for most re-watches. They're not by any stretch of the imagination my favorites (I'd say that honor goes to "Crackers Don't Matter" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" from Season 2) but they are good and make it extremely easy to just sit and listen. They're mostly dialogue (in a way, they "tell" and don't "show").

In it, John watches a recording from Earth TV made after the Moyans' visit to our little blue planet. It contains some things that weren't shown in "Terra Firma", mostly previously unaired interviews with crew and some home video that John's nephew Bobby, alongside commentary from "experts" from Earth.

It contains within it some pieces of footage that ask us to question our beliefs: Noranti condemns many religions (not by name) for condemning killing but then making allowances, Chiana pushes the appropriate age for sex issue (this is few episodes past the turning point in dealing with her rape), the experts bring up the issue of inter-special children, etc. I don't have to agree with the points the Moyans' make to realize that we need to be more aware of ourselves and how we think about ourselves.

There's also the point of what exactly would happen to Earth's societies once we make contact with other worlds? One of the first pieces of fiction I've ever seen that dealt with that is 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke. TMA-1 was hidden from the general populace for fear of what would happen when the world found out.

All in all, I find it thought-provoking and that's why I like watching it.

0 comments: