April 7, 2008

Soylent Green is People!

Sorry if I spoiled that for anyone (heh). So, I just found out that Charlton Heston passed away Saturday. He was very much the "epic" man (Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments, El Cid) and made some excellent contributions in the realm of science fiction films including Soylent Green, Planet of the Apes, and The Omega Man (the second film based on Richard Matheson's I Am Legend, after The Last Man on Earth and before the recent I Am Legend). It was sad to hear that he'd been suffering from Alzheimer's since 2002, but hopefully he left us before it had been too long of a goodbye for his family.

On a lighter note, I'm starting my own re-watch of Deep Space Nine, which I consider to be the best of the modern Star Trek shows, probably the best of them all. I say that because it was the first one to have any sense of continuity. Enterprise showed some, but it suffered from leadership by Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. I won't claim they tried to destroy Trek, but they definitely didn't do it many favors.

0 comments: